Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sometimes you eat the bar...and sometimes the bar eats you...

Recently I finished up a bar for a local bakery that got me back to work with my 5 1/2 and my Spiers smoother. Good tools make a big difference and the juxtaposition between the drywall and construction work I was also doing for the bakery made this project quite a relief. The whole bar including legs was done in 3 days, so it was quite a rush job. Not my absolute best work, but not my worst either. It's been over a year since I've been able to do a big project like this and it was awfully nice to get back to doing some real woodworking.





The wood is a 2" slab of cherry with a couple of butterfly joints to hold the cracks together. Cherry is a nice wood to work with, sort of like walnut. In an ideal world I would have liked about two weeks to put everything together, but for the timeframe I think it came out pretty well.

2 comments:

Konrad said...

Nice table Matt. Gonna have to stop in and see this one in person.

Cheers,
konrad

matt@thuja said...

Thanks Konrad...what I want to see is those chairs you're working on!