Sunday, January 8, 2012

Two New Planes

Two new planes are now in my arsenal! One purchased and one homemade:


The Lee Valley small rebate plane is my first Veritas tool and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Nice adjustments and comfortable in the hand with an O1 blade for easy sharpening!



The second is a small chamfer plane made from quartered beech. The guide fence is built into the bottom of the plane and without a second adjustable guide fence requires a careful approach, something that isn't always a bad thing. I saw this style in a Japanese plane and liked the simplicity. Japanese tools have a wonderful simplicity that demands respect and understanding, care and attention to get the best results out of them. They serve as a stark contrast to the western planes like the Veritas where features abound and adjustments are just a thumbscrew away. I guess it's something like the difference between an artist and a technician. It's funny because in the cycling world Shimano is the technician's choice, while Campagnolo is for the artists...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Custom Bookshelf
Its so amazing.I was also doing for the bakery made this project quite a relief. Excellent..!